Chapel built in 1921, designed by architect Fletterman as a small church of the then parish 12 of the Reformed Church in The Hague. The chapel at the Thomas Schwenckestraat was inaugurated on July 13, 1921.
In 2015 a renovation started by STEK or Stad en Kerk (city and church), the executive of the Hague Protestant Parish. They wanted a nice and multifunctional place in the former Bethel Chapel.
A pipette with a drop of developer on color paper.
Composition with paper.
Dunes at the Noorderstrand, The Hague.
Dr. Anton Philipszaal was a concert hall and theater on the Spui in The Hague and opened in 1987, the same year as the nearby Lucent Dance Theatre. The building was designed by architects Dick van Mourik and Peter Vermeulen. The hall had 1800 seats and The Residentie Orkest (Residence Orchestra) held regular performances.
In October 2015 began the demolition of the Anton Philipszaal to make way for a new cultural center (2019).
Between The Hague and Wassenaar lies Meijendel, it has a size of approximately 2,000 hectares and is South Holland’s largest contiguous dune area.
Once there stood a farm in a valley of Meijendel, which was named after the many hawthorns that grew in the area. The inner side of the dune area is partially wooded. Closer to the sea there are sandy plains and “bare” areas with beach grass. The area is rich in water. There are a lot infiltration ponds locally, but also natural dune pans. To protect the water collection, parts of Meijendel have long been closed to the public. This deep rest has benefited the birds.
There are many hiking and biking trails through Meijendel. Central to the area is a farm Meijendel and a pancake house. The dunes have still several bunkers from World War II, used by bats as hibernation site.
Just outside the busy city center of The Hague, there is an open place in the dune area Meijendel called the Waalsdorpervlakte.
During World War II, 250 members of the Dutch resistance were executed here by the Germans. It is also the site of Dutch Nazi collaborator Anton Mussert’s execution in 1946. It is regarded one of the main locations where on 4 May ‘Remembrance of the Dead’, a yearly commemoration of victims of World War II and other victims of war, is held.
The Bourdon Bell, was handed over at a speech by Prime Minister Gerbrandy as a gift from the citizens of The Hague on April 30, 1959. He was immediately put into use and is since then an important part of the Remembrance Day.
‘De Paardenberg’ (‘Horse Mountain’) is a church and community center in The Hague and houses the organization ‘Wereldhuis’ (‘World House‘). It provides advice and offer assistance to undocumented migrants. They started Djembe classes under the leadership of Mr. Mosis. People from different countries and cultures are connected by a universal language: Music.