The Heilige Jacobus de Meerdere or Sint Jacobus (Saint James) was built in the years 1875-1878 to the design of the great architect of the period of the Gothic Revival, P. J. H. Cuypers. The fountain in the courtyard of St. James Church is the only structure of Cuypers in The Hague, but one of the most beautiful creations of this style in our country. Therefore, the Church is on the monumentlist.
This involves not only the building itself, but also to the neo-Gothic decoration (polychromy, stained glass windows, tiled floors) and device (altars, communion rails, pulpit, Stations of the Cross, etc.). With the completion in 2010 of the major restoration, the church more than ever becomes a monument of religious art and faith in the 19th century.
Some general information.
Length of the church tower including: approximately 64 m.
Height of the nave under the vaults: 17 m.
Number of seats: 1100 Height of tower: over 90 m. (one of the ten tallest church towers in the Netherlands).
Cost of construction and equipment in 1875: approximately NLG 500,000 (€ 225,000 now).
In 1975 the church was placed on the monument list.
Virtual tour at the website.