Two churches in The Hague:
The ‘Allerheiligst Sacramentskerk’ (Blessed Sacrament Church) is a former Roman Catholic church at Sportlaan, The Hague. On the southwest corner it has a large bell tower. Designed by architect Nicholas Miller Jr, the church was built between 1925 – 1926 and on 16 July 1926 the church was taken into use. The official consecration by Bishop Callier took place on 7 December of that year.
Due to declining church attendance, the Sacrament Church was closed on August 31, 2008. There are plans to convert the church into apartments. On 12 January 2013 the church was squated, to house asylum seekers, who were in desperate need of shelter, after a camp at Koekamp in the city center was evicted.
The establishment of this parish in the Zeeheldenbuurt at The Hague was necessary at the end of the nineteenth century, because the city was extended in a northwesterly direction. Designed by architect Miller in 1892 the church was built at Elandstraat. On 1 December 1892, the new church was consecrated.
In 1905 and 1906, the Franssen brothers from Roermond built a new organ in the church. In the course of the years some changea has been made to the organ. After the restoration of the church in 1996, it was decided to restore the organ by ‘Adema’s organ building’ from Hillegom. On Sunday, May 15, 2011, the restored Franssen organ was festively inaugurated
The church is generally considered as the main work of Nicholas Miller. It is a large neo-Gothic church tower with double front, cloverleaf shaped transept and choir. Stylistically it is entirely derived from the early Gothic architecture in northern France and the late Romanesque architecture in the German Rhineland.